Bangladesh abandon New Zealand tour after Mosque massacre

Bangladesh abandon New Zealand tour after Mosque massacre

Bangladesh’s cricket team left New Zealand on Saturday, less than 24 hours after narrowly avoiding being involved in the worst mass shooting in the country, which now had to accept that sporting events were likely to have been changed for ever.

A lone gunman killed 49 people and wounded more than 20 during Friday prayers at two mosques in Christchurch in the country’s worst mass shooting which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern condemned as “a terrorist attack”.

The Bangladesh team were on a bus that was approaching the Al Noor mosque, where 41 people died, on the eve of the third Test at nearby Hagley Oval when the shooting began.

The Test match, which had been scheduled to start on Saturday, was cancelled after the shooting and Bangladesh’s tour abandoned.

Violent crime is extremely rare in New Zealand and the Bangladesh Cricket Board said the attacks had now changed their perception about team security on tours.

“We’ll demand proper security wherever our team goes in future,” BCB President Nazmul Hassan told reporters in Dhaka. “If a country provides proper security as per our demand, then we will go otherwise not. I can say that everything will change after this incident.”

Source link