The Football Association will continue to look into bullying allegations against Peter Beardsley following his departure on Wednesday from Newcastle United, where he was the club’s long-serving Under-23s coach.
Beardsley, 58, has continued to deny allegations of bullying brought against him by a former academy player. The ex-England international was placed on leave in January last year while a complaint against him made by midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni was investigated.
Newcastle have not revealed the outcome of their investigation, overseen by managing director Lee Charnley, who runs the club for owner Mike Ashley.
The FA said in a statement: “The allegations made against Peter Beardsley continue to be under consideration by the FA. We are not in a position to comment further at this time.”
Ben El-Mhanni has left the club and is registered with Scunthorpe United. The allegations he made against Beardsley were supported by a number of Ben El-Mhanni’s former team-mates. At the time, Beardsley issued a statement denying the allegations against him.
Beardsley said in a statement on Wednesday: “The time is now right for me to seek a new challenge and I wish the players all the best and the supporters the success they deserve. I have always honoured my contractual obligations of confidentiality to the club and maintained my silence, which has in itself been very difficult. I am incredibly grateful for the tremendous support I have received and I look forward to the future.”