Lightly steamed and wilted, carrot tops reveal a delicate, floral, seaweed flavour that becomes addictive. Served drizzled with tahini miso dressing, they make a tempting starter or the perfect companion to white fish, grains or soba noodles.
Four as a starter or a garnish
- 350g carrots, scrubbed under water
- 80g carrot tops (including the stems), washed well
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp red miso
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp maple syrup or light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- Cut the carrots into 8cm-10cm batons and roughly chop the carrot tops. Place the batons in a steamer and cook for two minutes. Add the tops and cook for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the tahini, red miso and water until well blended. It should be slightly thick but pourable. Add more water if needed. Season with maple syrup or sugar and rice vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the carrots warm or cold, drizzled with the dressing and sprinkled with sesame seeds if using.
Recipe by Valerie Berry