Toddler died with sepsis due to ‘gross failure’ of doctors, inquest hears

Toddler died with sepsis due to 'gross failure' of doctors, inquest hears

A two-year-old girl died after contracting sepsis due to the “gross failure” of doctors, a coroner has ruled, as she identified 38 mistakes.

Marcie Tadman was being treated for pneumonia at the Royal United Hospital in Bath when she suffered a fatal cardiac arrest on the morning of December 5 2017.

Her death came just five months after her mother died from cancer.

Marcie, who had been rushed to A&E by her father, James Tadman, two days earlier, had been seen by seven doctors who were treating the pneumonia as the main cause of her illness, all of them failing to consider sepsis.

She was not reviewed by a doctor for 11-and-a-half hours after being examined in the afternoon.

Maria Voisin, senior coroner for the Avon area, concluded that the toddler died from natural causes contributed to by neglect.

Source link