Two patients die after contracting pigeon droppings infection at hospital in Glasgow

Two patients die after contracting pigeon droppings infection at hospital in Glasgow

Two patients have died after contracting a fungal infection linked to pigeon droppings at a hospital.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGCC) has launched a probe into the death of one patient at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, with the cause still to be determined.

The health board said the second patient affected – who was elderly – died of an unrelated matter.

Control measures were immediately put in place after the two cases of Cryptococcus were detected.

A spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with the families at this distressing time.

“Due to patient confidentiality we cannot share further details of the two cases.

“The organism is harmless to the vast majority of people and rarely causes disease in humans.”

The infection is caused by inhaling the fungus Cryptococcus, primarily found in soil and pigeon droppings.

NHSGCC said a likely source was found in a non-public area away from wards and the droppings were removed.

The health board said a small number of child and adult patients who are vulnerable to the infection are receiving medication and this has proved effective.

Teresa Inkster, NHSGCC lead consultant for infection control, said: “Cryptococcus lives in the environment throughout the world. It rarely causes infection in humans.

Source link