The prospect of Tyson Fury meeting Deontay Wilder in a heavyweight rematch took a dramatic twist on Monday when the British fighter revealed an £80 million five-bout deal to fight in the United States.
The agreement with American broadcaster ESPN appears to make the hugely anticipated rematch with Wilder more difficult, given that the World Boxing Council champion has been fighting on the Showtime channel.
However, Fury insisted that the rematch with Wilder, which had been set for May 18 in Las Vegas, was still on the cards – and that the new deal simply made it more easier for him to negotiate a fight against Anthony Joshua.
“I want Wilder, I still want a Wilder, but I would also take [Anthony] Joshua and I have more chance of getting them with this deal,” Fury said. Aside from Wilder, there is the prospect that Fury could fight Oscar Rivas (26-0) or Kubrat Pulev (26-1).
Wilder was given a controversial draw against Fury after the Briton had dominated their fight in Los Angeles in December. He had lost 10 stone in weight after 30 months away from the sport.
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren said: “Tyson wants it [the Wilder fight], we all want it, and now we’ve got to make it happen. It’s up to us now to sit down and get it over the line. We want to fight Joshua, too. We tried to make the fight, it’s a 50-50 fight [financially] and they did not want to make it.